Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tarte Rainforest After Dark Eye & Cheek Palette: Review

            

           I should probably preface this post by mentioning how much I love Tarte products. If for some, horrendous, tragic reason, I could only use makeup from one brand for the rest of my life, I would choose Tarte. Their Lipsurgence lip tints and cheek tints are my favorite lip and cheek products. Lately, though, I’ve begun to appreciate their eye shadows and powder blushes.

            The Tarte Rainforest After Dark Palette Eye and Cheek palette didn't appeal to me at first. And then I saw swatches. I was so excited when I got this home I couldn't even wait to take pictures before digging in. I had to have it on my face!

(See the mess? Told you I couldn't wait)

            Can we talk about the fact that this palette has a plastic, purple JEWEL on it? They already won me over. Pretty much. The gold foil snake is pretty cute too. The case looks like it's wood, but, of course, it's wood. I still like the look of the palette, but it feels pretty cheap. 

            I’m not much of a bronzer person, but for fair skin the bronzer is awesome. The highlighter is subtle and wonderful too. I love how they made the bronzer, blush and highlighter pans big enough to actually put a brush in, without overpowering the eye shadow pans. It’s a pretty well designed palette, despite the fact that it’s round. I store my palettes on their side, which doesn’t work for this. I like how it looks so much, though, that I plan on getting a picture frame stand to prop it up to use as décor on my vanity. For right now, though, it’s just laying around on my vanity.


            I love purple shadows and this palette has probably my favorite gold eye shadow ever. The shadows all have a lovely texture with barely any fallout. I will say Tarte has some of the most underrated matte shadows on the market. I find them very pigmented and, typically, smooth.  

(Left to Right: Amazonian Clay Blush in "Unleashed", Bronzer in "Park Ave. Princess #2", Eyeshadow in "Don't Turn A-Brown," "Tan-gled Up in You," "Up to No Gold," "Plum Away With Me," "Make a Mauve," "Bare to Explore" and Highlighter in "Champagne.")

"Unleashed" is a dusty rose (matte) and is very smooth. I find it easy to blend.
"Park Ave. Princess #2" is a warm tan color. also matte and easy to blend. 
Don't Turn A-Brown is a dark, cool-toned brown with some very fine silver sparkle that hardly translates on the lid. 
"Tan-gled Up in You" is a neutral, slightly warm, medium tan (matte.) 
"Up to No Gold" is a medium, slightly antiqued gold with plenty of shimmer. It's very creamy shade. I like how it's bright, without being too yellow.
"Plum Away With Me" is a warm medium-dark plum tone with a frosty finish and some fine silver sparkle. "Make a Mauve" is a light plum with some slight shimmer.
"Bare to Explore" is a matte, light, pinky-nude. This one is probably the hardest shade to blend, but it's by no means stiff. I still find it to be buttery and smooth, but it applies best if you already have a powder shadow down as a base.
"Champagne" is a light, shimmery, golden beige. It has some slight pigmentation issues, but is easy to build up.


            This palette is great for everyday looks with a kick. Think neutrals, with a twist. It's going to be great for fall. It retails for $38 dollars and limited edition, so if you want it, grab it. 

             Have you tried this palette already? What did you think? Let me know down below!

2 comments: